We all have (or almost all) a Shelf of Shame, with piles of unpainted models, waiting forever to be assembled or painted. I’m not unfamiliar to that situation. However, I also have what I coined as a WIP Table of Shame: a collection of mid-painting models that never got finished for whatever reasons, be that for weeks, or years…
The number of models on my own WIP Table of Shame is starting to get out of control, stealing work space, and mostly sapping my painting mojo. This week, I made the decision to correct this situation. I know myself however; I can’t hard quit what I’m working on right now to finish those, or stop getting into new projects and ideas. I thus decided that from now own, and until the situation is under better control, I will have to finish something on the WIP Table of Shame anytime I want to tackle anything new. Hopefully, it will at least slow down the creep, if not correct the problem entirely.
I recently had the chance to have a chat with Dan on his podcast Paint all the Minis Painting Ramble. The episode just released. We talk larping, Geeks of the North, but mostly, hobby and painting.
If that might interest you, you can listen on their site or in your favorite podcast app.
Paint all the Minis is also a really positive hobby group on Facebook that I heartily recommend.
My most recent project was the painting of two WW2 historical tanks, a russian T-34 and a german Tiger 1. Both vehicles are 3d printed models, designed by the 3D Wargaming team.
It was a first foray for me in the historical painting realm. It’s a style less flashy than what I’m used to: lower contrasts, no big edge highlights, neutral palettes, lots of weathering, etc. I went with colour schemes inspired from what I found in my research, but didn’t go for 100% accurate. It was a good challenge, and mostly, it created a craving to paint more in that style, while historical never really blipped on my radar before.
Some time ago, while cleaning old boxes at my parents’ house, I stumbled upon the first box of minis I ever got, while still a young gaming Padawan. They were Ral Partha miniatures for RPGs, random stuff not even related to a campaign or specific project. I attacked the painting with much joy, and no research or knowledge whatsoever, using Testor enamel scale model paints.
I recently stumbled upon Chronicles of the Wayfarer, when an acquaintance reacted to one of their pictures on Facebook. I couldn’t stop myself from liking the picture also; it was the spitting image of a Chronopia Firstborns’ Knight, in 15mm scale! I have fond memories of that defunct game, especially of the concepts arts and illustrations, and this mini modeled it perfectly, for the size anyway.
I then found out that a painting contest was beginning for a small selection of their line, and I jumped in. Painting at 15mm was going to be a new challenge, especially at a display level, as I never tackled that scale.
A local Warmachine & Hordes group organized a Secret Santa painting exchange over the Christmas period. I’m a sucker for those fun painting incentive, so I jumped in. It started a bit late, so we had up to the middle of January to finish our project and send them off.
Last year, Derek, one of my fellow local hobbyist, asked me to sculpt a snow golem for his pretty thematic Frostgrave warband. So here is a small compilation of wip pictures as I sculpted along, as well as my own painted version, as it was cast so that Derek could have multiple to share with his young ones too.
The Roots of Magic is a wizard duel fantasy skirmish miniature game, by Grand Arcanum Games. Now that all their eight factions have their main wizard available, they have decided to bring the game to Kickstarter to add a second type of model to every faction: the acolytes.
I’ve owned Pulp City models for a while, a bit before the kickstarter project for the most recent edition of the game. A pretty varied lot, gotten through the used market, but with a strong concentration of primates from the A.R.C. (Ape Revolution Committee) faction.
When I initially planned to paint them, I knew I wanted to stay pretty close to the official schemes, which I like a lot, but at was stuck for the bases. The studio models use all different basing schemes, and while it makes the individual minis pop, it lacks a certain team visual. At that time, nothing in pre-made resin caught my eye, and I had no idea for scratch building my own, so they ended up put aside in a closet while I jumped on other projects.
This is a surprise follow-up to the 10mm fantasy ogre Kickstarter feature I did a couple weeks ago about Black Gate Miniatures. After posting the article, the guys behind the project contacted me and offered to send me some sample miniatures. It was short before the end of the project, especially with UK > Canada shipping, but why not! Continue reading